Friday, January 25, 2013

Own the yellow!

-->
I was asked by some people at Sacred Heart Cathedral Prep High School in San Francisco to develop a Maker Lab. Enthusiasm from all involved was very high, including myself. One such individual, who took his own time out to spend a couple days to build out the space and recommend that I paint one of the walls a bright color.  Due to the fact that he works in the theater department I interpreted this statement as, "go make a giant freaky mural."

In truth when I hit the wall with the yellow, I felt a little sick. It was just not right. So what did I do- give up? Walk away to come back and paint over it another day? No I put the pedal to the metal... er… roller to the wall and powered up. The yellow didn’t leave, it took over and determined the rest.

 
It’s not intended as a symbol of San Francisco hippie pride or Rastafarian circus punk. If that’s what you see then search your inner self- you might find something cool in that. It was what the Maker Lab is intended to do- make mistakes and then make them work for you. It’s about the process, not the product. When life gives you yellow make lemonade- right?

 
Ready to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment